RVATECH Policy Update
July 15, 2019
The governor’s office has assembled a group of stakeholders to meet periodically surrounding the expansion of broadband throughout the commonwealth, collectively called the Commonwealth Connect Coalition. Highlights from the spring meeting are below:
1) USDA provided an overview of the ReConnect loan and grant program during the meeting. $200 million in grants was made available to localities and providers.
2) Appalachian Power and Dominion provided a preliminary look into the pilot program established by HB 2691, which will allow the utilities to provide “middle mile” fiber to unserved areas of the state. Please note that HB 2691 does not become law until July 1 but discussions are encouraged to begin as soon as possible.
3) Several new organizations joined the coalition and were formally welcomed. The coalition has now eclipsed the 80 member mark and is fast approaching 100.
* Virginia Society of CPAs
* Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners
* Virginia Nurses Association